Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Plans


It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is next week! We will be heading over to my parents' house for dinner, along with some of my dad's relatives. My mom is cooking the main part of the dinner, and the rest of us will be bringing various side dishes and desserts. I'll be making Honey Rolls and some kind of pumpkin dessert, and maybe a pie. Also bringing cider. Mmmmm . . . I love Thanksgiving!!

Speaking of yummy Thanksgiving food, you all should head on over to my mom's blog if you need any inspiration! She's been doing a series of posts on tried-and-true Thanksgiving favorites. While you're there, check out her Christmas blog, also . . . she had some great recipes and crafty ideas, etc. posted there.

Here is the recipe for the honey rolls--originally from Quick Cooking magazine, Sept./Oct. 2000:

GOLDEN HONEY PAN ROLLS
(This is a bread machine recipe, but probably could be adapted to make by hand.)

1 c. milk (70-80º)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 T. honey
1- 1/2 t. salt
3 -1/2 c. bread flour
2-1/4 t. active dry yeast

Glaze:

1/3 c. sugar
2 T. butter, melted
1 T. honey
1 egg white
Additional honey, optional

In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 T. of water or flour if needed.) When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 24 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 12 balls each in two greased 8” baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. For glaze, combine sugar, butter, honey and egg white; drizzle over dough. Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with additional honey if desired.

Yield: 2 dozen


So, what are the rest of you doing for Thanksgiving? What "must-have" foods are on the menu this year? And don't forget to check out There is No Place Like Home for more Thanksgiving fun!

3 comments:

Mommy said...

I too am bring side dishes for thanksgiving. I think I am bringing our Cornbread Casserole, Pumpkin Pies, maybe Apple dump cake, cranberry jelly, and a local store puts out a salad called marshmellow delight. So I picked that up just to indulge myself. :)

Your rolls look really good though. I'll have to come back when I have a little more time to look at your mom's blog. Thanks for sharing! :)

Rachel said...

These rolls look yummy! Anything with a honey glaze is bound to be delicious.

I plan to make your mom's make-ahead potatoes this year. I am also going to use her pie crust recipe for the pies that I'll be making.

"Must-have" foods are:
1. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
2. Candied Sweet Potatoes
3. Lots of Stuffing
4. Turkey :)
5. Apple, Pumpkin and Lemon Meringue Pies
6. Turnips - this one is my choice as no one else likes these. I LOVE them and strangely enough, I love the smell of them too. :)
I will have other sides but these are essential to our Thanksgiving dinner.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving with those you love.

Unknown said...

Yummy sounding rolls recipe! Enjoy the big day together. With all those fabulous cooks, you are going to have some feast!

Our must-haves are the traditional things - homemade cranberry sauce, rolls, stuffing, gravy, etc. We usually switch things up for dessert and sweet potatoes though. This year we did some savory sweet potatoes and a traditional pumpkin pie (my first attempt at homemade pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream) but in the past we've done pumpkin cheesecake.